JULY 17– James T. Prince, 84, of Savannah, died in a two-vehicle crash on Airport Road this morning near the Hardin County Sale Barn, the Tennessee Highway Patrol said.
According to a preliminary THP report, Prince was driving a 2011 Ford F-150 north on Airport Road, or Tenn. 226 when he crossed the centerline in a curve and traveled into the path of a southbound 2007 Sterling V-Star tanker truck.
The tanker truck driver, Steve J. Bullard, 50, of Blountsville, Alabama, attempted evasive action but was hit in the second axle by the pickup truck.
JULY 14– All Hardin County residents have to do is text their ZIP code to 888777 to receive alerts about severe thunderstorms, tornadoes, missing persons, and other situations.
Yes, it’s that easy.
At a training session last week, Hardin County E-911 Director David Alexander said, “We’re really excited about this. It will allow us to reach people about emergency situations more quickly, and especially when people can’t hear the weather sirens.”
Right now the program is opt-in only, meaning only people who sign up will get updates. But, Nixle, the company that developed this software, is working on expanding that.
JULY 6– Zach Adams, the first of three defendants to be tried in the kidnapping, rape and murder of Holly Bobo, was led into the Hardin County Courthouse this morning wearing a bulletproof vest by law enforcement officials for what was supposed to be final jury selection and the commencement of his trial.
The trial was set to begin Monday morning with opening statements, and the jury of 15 – 12 jurors and three alternates – that should have been selected today and tomorrow were to be sequestered for the duration of the trial expected to last anywhere from a week to two weeks.
The Hardin County Court Clerk’s office confirmed at about 10:15 a.m., however, that Circuit Court Judge Creed McGinley, who is presiding over the trial, has granted a defense motion for a continuance after prosecutors introduced new evidence in the case.
Final jury selection is now scheduled to occur on Saturday, Sept. 9, with the trial beginning with opening statements on Monday, Sept. 11.
On June 23, several media outlets covering the case reported that prosecutors introduced a gun that was found in water or a muddy area over the Memorial Day weekend. Defense attorneys immediately sought a continuance to allow them to inspect the gun and possibly retain an expert, but that motion was denied by McGinley at that time.
This morning, as McGinley was hearing motions on the case prior to final jury selection, the defense apparently resubmitted the motion for a continuance based on the new evidence and McGinley granted the motion just before 10 a.m.