April 20– Twenty-eight-year-old Matthew A. Morgan perished from apparent smoke inhalation early this morning at his home in Counce.
"It was in a duplex-type house," said Hardin County Fire Chief Melvin Martin. "His neighbors in the B unit smelled smoke and called the fire department, and they banged on his door but got no response."
Martin said the call came in at about 12:30 this Easter Sunday morning, and firefighters responded to the home at 3015 Tenn. 57, Unit A.
According to Martin the fire started in the kitchen, in what looked to be a pan of grease or oil with something cooking in it. It appeared Morgan laid down on his living room couch after starting the burner, and possibly fell asleep. Morgan's body was found just inside the front door.