Early Easter morning fire kills Counce man

April 20– Twenty-eight-year-old Matthew A. Morgan perished from apparent smoke inhalation early this morning at his home in Counce.

"It was in a duplex-type house," said Hardin County Fire Chief Melvin Martin. "His neighbors in the B unit smelled smoke and called the fire department, and they banged on his door but got no response."

Martin said the call came in at about 12:30 this Easter Sunday morning, and firefighters responded to the home at 3015 Tenn. 57, Unit A.

According to Martin the fire started in the kitchen, in what looked to be a pan of grease or oil with something cooking in it. It appeared Morgan laid down on his living room couch after starting the burner, and possibly fell asleep. Morgan's body was found just inside the front door.


Access Premium Content

Some of our online content is only available to subscribers.

To view every single page of each week's Courier exactly as it appears in print, CLICK HERE or click The Courier tab above.

If you are wanting to create a new account or are having problems logging in, please call our office at 731-925-6397.

Visitors can view web cams, news and sports and special sections without a subscription.

Public Notices

Search Our Site

Web Analytics