Man dies after wood stove ignites house

JAN. 13 -- A Hardin County man died Friday after a fire broke out at his home.

In frigid and icy conditions, firefighters were dispatched to 4345 Glendale Road at 3:48 p.m. The homeowner, Dennis T. Jordan, 53, who subsequently died, told a 911 dispatcher there was smoke in the residence and he thought it was coming from behind a wood stove, said Hardin County Fire Chief Melvin Martin.

He said Jordan went into an attached garage where he collapsed, but “we do not believe that the fire caused his death. He wasn’t in a smoky area.”

Martin said there were three adults and nine children ranging in age from 3 months to 15 years in the house at the time. The only other injury sustained was to a firefighter who slipped on some ice and sprained an ankle.

Read more...

Access Premium Content

Some of our online content is only available to subscribers.

To view every single page of each week's Courier exactly as it appears in print, CLICK HERE or click The Courier tab above.

If you are wanting to create a new account or are having problems logging in, please call our office at 731-925-6397.

Visitors can view web cams, news and sports and special sections without a subscription.

Public Notices

Search Our Site

Web Analytics